Saturday, June 11, 2011

What is your most prized possession?

I am talk about things you personally own, not your family. Of any single item you own, what would it hurt the most to lose? Would it be your phone? Would it be your car? How about your iPod? Or would it be something more sentimental, like a childhood blankie, your dog, or your beloved small-mouth bass pillow? In light of certain extenuating circumstances, I have had to do some thinking on this subject. After much deliberation, I decided that it would be my music library (I admit this may be revisionist history). I owned well over 6000 songs, and my collection was growing daily. While 6000 may not be the gargantuan number that some people seem to have, I actually liked all the music in my library. There were very few songs on it that I hadn't listened to.

What do I bring this up you may ask? Well, my computer was getting a little bogged up with files. All of my music downloads were taking up too much room, and it was lagging a lot in Dota, which is absolutely unacceptable. I deleted all of my files off of Vuze to clear up some hard drive space. Well, my dumbass accidentally clicked "remove files from computer". Well done, Peter. There goes 80 downloads (mostly albums, a few discographies). Now my iTunes can't play these songs since there isn't a file to locate them. Sweet. I had all this shit backed up on an external hard drive, so all wasn't lost. I plugged in my external hard drive and restored my files. I opened my iTunes, planning on just dropping these files back into my library and all would be gravy again.

Fuck.

For some reason restoring my music files deleted every song out of my iTunes. I went from 6000+ songs to a fat zero. I swore a few times loudly, but I didn't completely lose my composure. I found all my files restored on my computer, so I started to go to each album and click all the songs to my iTunes like I always do when I download music. So I put a few hundred songs in my iTunes before I had to go to work. After work, I came back and was going to continue the long process of going through every files and clicking songs into iTunes. To save myself a few sentences of details that will only upset me further, the 80 albums I deleted still weren't able to be located after I restored them. I currently have a zero song music library.

So to wrap up my disastrous iTunes journey, I started out with 6000 songs, for roundness's sake. I lost 1500 of them. I tried to recover these 1500 instead of just redownloading them. I ended up deleting the other 4500 in the process of trying to recover them, and then ended up not even being able to recover them. So now I still have to click those 4500 back into my iTunes, and then re-download the rest of the songs that I failed to recover. I have a treble clef shaped hole in my heart

Hold onto what you have. Your most prized possession may be there one day, and two clicks later, it could be gone forever. Technology - 6000; Peter - 0.





To wrap this up with something lighthearted and hilarious, here is the second top comment on "Under The Bridge" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers on Youtube: justin Beiber does lines of coke off boners......just saying

Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment