Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Meals-that-smell-so-bad-so-I have-to-drive-with-my-windows-down-On-Wheels

I did my Boy Scout good deed for the week this morning, I know it's a big deal. I had to get up early and everything! OK, it was like 10am, but that's pretty damn early for me. I had to do a route for Meals on Wheels, where you drive around hot meals and beverages to people in need, who at least for me all turned out to be weird, super old ladies. It wasn't the most comfortable thing I've ever done. Weird old ladies, while being incredibly nice and thankful, have smelly houses. And often cats. I know how bizarre that sounds, but trust me on this one, I was shocked too. I only had to deliver to five houses, so it didn't take too long, or at least it wouldn't have if I didn't have to backtrack twice because I failed to deliver the right meals to the right house... But there was one thing that really irked me. The food smelled like a funny simile that is eluding me at the moment. It was like detox food, just gross. These old ladies deserve food better than that. They deserve something that I can stand to smell, and they don't deserve meat that I would call questionable at best. But, they probably don't care though, they probably just enjoy a hot meal. And that's good for them, because I'd be raisin' hell if that was my lunch every day.

So overall, it wasn't a bad experience, it was kind of rewarding and all that jazz. But it's definitely something I'm glad I only have to do once in awhile, since in all honesty, I am probably still a little too selfish at this stage in my life to give up an hour every single day to a charitable cause. If you aren't, then you are a great person. Better than most, and definitely better than I.


In other news, I was upgraded to an apartment for next spring, hip hip! While I was truly looking forward to Complex Round Two, Arborview definitely wins out. Gotta love a basically off campus apartment! While I should probably follow my ideals here and celebrate the future and not worry about problems, I'm going to run on a hypocritical digression here real quickly.

ABOUT DAMN TIME RES LIFE! If Res Life wasn't so stubborn and irrational, we would have been off campus about 3 months ago, and a school official would have never told us we lacked integrity. Blah blah blah! Argh! I'm mad! Blah blah blah!!!

Alright, got that off my chest. I feel better. Now that that's over, I can go back to being happy that we got the upgrade.

I was thinking about what our (I keep saying our, I should probably specify who "our" is, and it's Kevin Bonnema, Derek Ikeogu, Andrew Meder, Nick Bertness, and I) lives would have been like if we were in North again next year as opposed to being in Arborview. We would be hanging out with different people on a frequent basis. We probably would have made a lot more sophomore friends in North. We will probably hang out with mostly the same people we hung out with this year. Who knows how much our lives would have changed based on a simple change of location, only a few blocks away. I was pondering upon this point while at work today listening to Common Market (returning readers will know my infatuation with Tobacco Road). In the song bearing the album's namesake, there is a quote about how life isn't what you make it, but rather it's life that makes you. I thought about this for a solid half an hour tonight. I didn't quite realize how accurate that statement really is until I started writing this post tonight.

I started thinking about how different my life would be next year living across campus, but then I broadened my introspection. What if I had ended up at Marquette University (my first college choice, money didn't work out) rather than Gustavus? What if I had gone to the U? What if my current friends hadn't ever attended Gustavus? What if my friends from home and I all decided to go to the same school? #mindblown

I would like to think that life is what you make it, and it is to some extent, but to deny how much your life depends on situation and circumstance is ignorant. That doesn't mean you still don't have control over your life, but I just found the original point was very interesting. I am going to leave it at that, as if I went much farther I would probably type a few thousand words of redundancy. I try to catch myself from ranting before I get too into it, because, as I'm sure as my friends will testify, once I get on my soapbox it is a slippery slope. I will just sum it up with this: life is what makes you, but everything is still your choice, choose wisely (for any former Madison Mustangs, yes, I did just quote Mrs. Nelson).

That's all I got for tonight methinks. I will try to not be serious very often, but that was just something on my mind, hope you enjoyed it as a little change-up. Tonight, I not only have a song, but an entire mixtape! The first song is just an awesome Macklemore jam (awesome and Macklemore as synonymous). The second link is a safe download think, I promise. Do it up, you won't regret it. And the third link is a song I found on some random blog that I kinda dig.

Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIqDBM0zd8

http://www.ohsofreshmusic.com/2011/06/download-kickdrums-ghost-mixtape.html


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhgWBLOe3Tw&feature=player_embedded#at=26

No comments:

Post a Comment