Monday, June 13, 2011

Flat tires and Fat Tire

So my car has a flat tire. Two problems arise from this, and I don't know which one is worse:

1) I have no clue how to change a tire, and will have to wait until I see my dad tomorrow to change it.

2) With my car out of service, I have to drive my mother's minivan to work.

Driving your mom's van was acceptable in high school, but driving a gold Town & Country to a blue-collared, second shift, warehouse job is not. I am embarrassed already. I should probably have my mom pack my lunch tonight too. She could throw in a Lunchable, Capri Sun, and a Snack Pack. Any Spee Dee street cred I may have had or had potential to have in the future is now negated, which is unfortunate, because I was really hoping to impress that one girl who sells cigarettes to the minors... I have no choice but to embrace my role as the momma's boy college kid in the eyes of my co-workers. Time to put on my corduroy slacks and go to work.


10 hours later....


Work is over. Time for a cold Flat Tire and some more writing.



The recent development discussed above brings up a bigger issue at hand, the issue of manhood. As a young adult, all of 20 years old, there are a few things that pride myself on that I define as necessary criteria for manhood. I am a deep, independent thinker. I am dependable. I am ambitious. I'm a pretty good cook. I have male genitalia. Obviously, my definition of manhood is contorted to encompass my personal traits in an effort of self-enhancement, but I would consider those important traits for any man (though they are all up for debate, I guess except for one, but that is for you to decide).

But there is one thing that is missing from my otherwise flawless repertoire of awesome manly traits, my lack of car know-how. It's the one chink in my ultramasculine armor. Putting me under the hood would be like putting Lebron in the fourth quarter, there would be much failure, and probably a few tears. Who would ever marry me knowing I couldn't change the oil on their expensive car that I will buy for them with my quarter-mil salary? No one, that's who (I know, women are shallow like that, how annoying). But I will not remain stagnant, I will learn, and if there is a will there is a way. Ambition provides the will, and I don't quite know the way yet, but it may start with some form of "Cars for Dummies" literature. But it will happen! By the end of the summer, my goal is to know how to change a tire and the oil. I feel like this is a bold goal, but what's the point of a goal if it's easy? Any words of encouragement will much appreciated, and advice will be more than necessary if this experiment is to be destined for successful and injury-free completion.





















So which one of these is the engine??






iTunes update: 583 songs. Only like 5000 songs left to go. We can build on this.




Good night all, I hope you dream lucidly, and your imagination knows no bound. And download Donnis' mixtape in the morning, Southern Lights (all my shameless plugs are on my own accord, I like to share joy with the world).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rySQqcsXL9s

And listen to this song just because it's awesome. It combines two of my favorite things, hip hop and musicals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY12WaHIMiU

And listen to this song because everybody who's anybody is doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHLyPdt-Fi4

No comments:

Post a Comment