Independence Day, it's Amurica's birthday. This year we are 235 years old. That is quite the accomplishment. A whole bunch of guys were chillin' in the Colonies 230 years ago and decided they didn't want to pay taxes anymore, so they got together and had this crazy idea that they were going to fight their way to independence. To some, it was a batshit crazy idea, and to others, it was brilliant. But without it, we wouldn't be the just, rich, economic stalwart we are today. God bless America.
But what's the buzz about fireworks?
Yeah, they shoot up high and go boom, cool. That was really awesome when I was a kid. Once in awhile you see a cool one. But what is so awesome about the exact same show every year? When is the last time they did something new? Like a billion years ago, they did those smiley face fireworks, and those were awesome. Sometimes they do janky looking hearts. But relative to the progression of technology, fireworks don't get better. I have yet to notice something much cooler from year to year. What, did they stop funding the Research & Development department of the Indian fireworks sweatshops? Next year better impress me, because I am not entertained.
It isn't even just the fireworks show that I'm not a fan of. I don't even really like having personal fireworks. Bottle rockets are fun for like five minutes. Firecrackers are quite annoying and don't do anything cool. In order to get something cool, you gotta spend some serious money, and to me, forty bucks to buy a roman candle shoot fireballs for 30 seconds isn't my idea of fun. Maybe it's my lack of the pyro-gene. Maybe it's just that I'm a frugal son of a bitch. Either way, I'm just not a firework guy.
I digress...
So, about the part of the 4th I actually do really love. The weekend of the 4th! Wanna know why? There's two reasons: being on a lake and your elders getting drunk.
My original plan for the weekend only included one of those, but I ended up satisfying both of my criteria.
My trip to GAC this weekend went seemingly array. A massive storm that put a 100ft pine tree within 10ft of my house managed to put a tree on our gracious hosts' house. Given this series of unfortunate events, our host decided to spend the weekend at home to remove a tree from her house. We can only hope all is well.
But a storm wasn't getting in the way of having an awesome weekend. We just changed our destination from St. Peter to Spicer, where the Meder family made promises of plenty of free cold beer. Those three words are all I needed to hear. Consider me convinced.
Two days later, we are all exhausted and hung over. We done well. While I would normally write a detailed summary of the weekend activities, I think a brief synopsis will be better.
Saturday: drank beer and sat on the lake.
Sunday: drank beer and sat on the lake.
You can fill in the gaps with imagination.
In conclusion, I had an awesome weekend, and I hope you all did too. Happy birthday, America.
Oh, and I'm watching "My Wife and Kids". Am I a bad person because I am really enjoying this show? My initial answer is yes, but I'm gonna sleep on it.
Tunes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLmTJpnqxj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6IctuA69Q4
No comments:
Post a Comment