Monday, November 28, 2011

Been awhile...

Been awhile since I've written anything, I have been a combination of real busy and real lazy. I had friends from GAC here for eight nights to host, then I had a crazy busy academic week, then I went to Sweden this weekend for fun. Been quite the stretch, but that isn't to say I haven't had half an hour to bang out a post, I've just been too busy wasting time watching Community during downtime. Here it goes.



There is a time and place for everything. This belief trumps my deep-seated hatred for trashy television and magazines, I just always believed that the time and place for this was at a slumber party for junior high school girls. I've never seen an episode of Jersey Shore, I have never opened a Cosmo, and I would rather watch that new shit they put on Nickelodeon and call cartoons than MTV. I am very proud of all of these accomplishments. But, with all this being said, I just spent an hour reading a GQ and regrettably enjoyed it. It's not easy for me to admit this, but I am trying to be honest. In my defense, they put Mila Kunis on the cover, and that's just not fair. I didn't buy it myself, it was a gift, so it would have been very much rude to not.

I was going to tie this whole thing into some nice feel good story about trying new things, but I realized I don't have a story. Just this intro and a conclusion, so that isn't happening. I'm gonna have to reroute here.

I had kind of a break through today. In class today, we were talking about multi-tasking, essentially people saying they can or can't. It got me thinking that I am only good at doing things when I am multi-tasking. In fact, I can't single task. My mind is always running through so many different things that I am not capable of doing one thing at a time. In fact, I've been writing this blog while on Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, Draft Countdown, email, Forum, GMAD, the Economist, and iTunes. I've been home for 30 minutes and have signed up for laundry, unpacked clothes from the weekend, unpacked groceries, gone to the bathroom, made a bacon-wrapped toasty dog, checked in through all of those websites, emailed my professor a paper, and written this paragraph. I am incapable of doing one thing at a time. I wrote a six page paper last week in an hour and a half with six tabs open and a house playlist on. I guarantee if I had to do it without the internet to distract me it would have taken me twice as long. I figure that the reason for this is that my attention span is so short that in order to keep my mind occupied and not bored, I need to bounce around between a million things with short bursts of 100% focus. I can't sit down and read a book for an hour. I can read a magazine for an hour because there are different articles, but I still guarantee that the magazine will get set down at least three times in that hour. I'm not sure why I will set it down, but I will probably just think of something and not be able to concentrate on anything else until I satisfy whatever is on my mind. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing yet. I will have to decide about that later.

I took two brief breaks in writing that last paragraph alone. Anyway, that is just kind of a psychological breakthrough I had with myself today. And I have no more motivation to write anymore. I will check in later.

Anyway, here is some music. This is my friend Darren, aka DefSeed. He is a kid studying abroad with me from Bucknell, and it turns out he is a pretty dope rapper. Download his mixtape, I give it my endorsement.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2oc4ftb2t7es2uv

No comments:

Post a Comment